What are All In One Solar Street Lights?
All In One solar street light is a new-age form of lighting solution integrating solar panels, charge controller, LED light and battery. These lights are available in two varieties, with infrared motion sensors and without, as part of the unit. All In One solar street lights are becoming popular due to their compact design and multiple other advantages.
Motion sensors help to adjust the LED brightness intelligently in All In One street lights. Infrared (IR) and passive infrared (PIR) motion sensors are used for motion sensed detection of emitted/reflected infrared energy. The All In One solar street lights with motion sensor switch on in the evening and after a time delay of 30 seconds, the lights automatically reduce their brightness to 20%. Motion sensor is capable of detecting infrared waves that radiate from moving objects, thereby electronically increasing the brightness of the lights. Once motion is detected, there is 100% brightness and if there is no motion detected in the area after the time delay, the light gets automatically adjusted to a dim mode of 20%. The biggest advantage of solar street lights with motion sensors is that they add a sense of security and safety to your property while providing better battery life.
Features of All In One Solar Street Lights
- Compact design
- Compatible in all climate conditions
- Motion sensors
- Longer life expectancy
- Easy installation
- Requires less manual intervention after installation
- High efficient LiFePO4 battery
- Durable metal or ABS body
- LED light system
- Cost effective
- Saves energy up to 80%
- IP65 waterproofing
Controllers used in All In One solar street lights
PWM or MPPT charge controllers are used in All In One solar street lights. PWM controller acts as a switch between the battery and solar panel. The battery is charged with constant 3-stage charging, i.e., bulk, float and absorb. Pulse width modulation or PWM is the technique to modulate the pulse width to change the voltage and frequency of energy from solar panel to charge the battery. One of the greatest pros of PWM controllers is that it helps to prevent overcharging while charging the battery. As for the cost, PWM controllers are less expensive compared to MPPT controllers. MPPT (maximum power point) controller offers an indirect connection between the battery and the solar panel. The DC/DC converter takes extra photovoltaic voltage and transforms this into additional current at lower voltage. MPPT controllers adjust the voltage to maintain the most efficient level of power. In cooler conditions, MPPT controllers are observed to be more effective than PWM controllers due to their ability to capture extra PV voltage.
Solar panels used in All In One solar street lights
Though both monocrystalline and polycrystalline solar panels are used in solar street lights, polycrystalline solar panels are most commonly used in All In One solar street lights due to their cost effectiveness. Since most of the All In One solar street lights use motion sensors, they do not require solar panels with more wattage.
Batteries used in All In One solar street lights
Lithium ion phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries are widely used in All In One solar street lights due to their multiple advantages. LiFePO4 batteries offer upper and lower voltage protection and longer lifespan. These batteries can operate in different temperature range and are maintenance free. LiFePo4 batteries are the perfect choice for All In One solar street lights due to their relatively small and light feature. Lithium-ion as well as lead acid batteries are also used in some All In One solar street lights.
Light source used in All In One solar street light
LED light source is used in as it consumes less energy and gives higher luminosity.
Installation of All In One solar street lights
Compared to integrated solar street lights, the installation of All In One solar street lights can be carried out easily. The All In One solar street light can be effortlessly mounted due to its compact size and also due to the fact that there are no wires or cables to connect. They can be installed either on a pole or on a wall. The pole should be fixed to a flat ground without inclination. The light fixture should be installed to the pole before erecting the pole. The pole should go at least 3 feet deep inside the ground. The basic cage must be secured to the ground using concrete. It is essential to place the poles at even widths to provide uniform brightness to the entire area. The poles must be placed in the right position and angle so that the panels get sufficient direct sunlight throughout the day.
Since All In One solar street lights have dusk to dawn feature, they need very minimal maintenance once installed. Rain water washes away most of the dust and dirt off the solar panels; however, routine cleaning of the panels helps the efficiency of All In One solar street lights. The solar panels can be cleaned by wiping them with a soft cloth or spraying water with a jet spray. Occasionally, you may inspect the installation bracket and the mounting arm to look for any damage.
- The All In One solar street lights are automatic in its function. They are operated with infrared motion sensor which helps to detect movement in its field and illuminate the lights, thereby ensuring security. Also, the controller can be set to operate in a timer-based manner where in the lights operate in full brightness for the first four hours and then later, in lower light for rest of the time.
- With the motion sensor and dimming options, the All In One solar street lights tend to save energy, thereby guaranteeing longer life to the lighting fixture.
- No cable work or electric equipment is needed, so the installation/construction cost is lesser.
- No need of manual intervention after installation, so the management cost is lesser.
- The lights are powered solely by using solar energy and no conventional energy is used, so the operation cost is lesser.
- Installation is easier and faster and maintenance is very minimal.
- Compared to integrated solar street lights, All In One street lights are less expensive.
- Since All In One solar street light requires direct sunlight to give its full potential at night, it may not be able to meet requirement of the areas with insufficient sunlight.
- Since having shadows may obstruct the sunlight to fall onto the solar panels to charge them efficiently, installation sites may be limited.
- Initial investment to purchase All In One solar street light is high compared to traditional lighting system.
However, the benefit of advantages is far beyond the shortcomings of disadvantages. With the technological advancement, All In One solar street lights will be more and more used in the coming future.